Monday, April 11, 2011

married 35 years

My parents celebrate 35 years of marriage today. I think that's pretty wonderful.

Their story is pretty cute. My dad was a young, athletic, handsome, funny, tough-guy GI, stationed in a beautiful tiny town in Germany in the mid 70s. My mom happened to be "stationed" in Germany too, because she was born there and lived there her whole life. I've heard all sorts of variations of the story, but basically, my dad and my mom, who was this spunky, tall, long-legged, beautiful, red-haired, fiery, creative, artistic young girl somehow shared an attraction and a dislike for each other at first. My mom has told me she didn't like my dad at first, (but I totally don't believe her, because I happen to think my dad was a super handsome young man, who kind of reminds me of a mix between Elvis Presley and Pa from Little House on the Prairie (played by the wonderful Michael Landon). When my dad hears her say this, I notice he acts like he didn't like her at first then either (but I don't believe him either, because my mom was a drop-dead-gorgeous dream girl - she was kinda hippyish, super decked out with her uniquely-designed jewelry and patched up bell bottoms - totally stylish and a total individual). They're so funny.
Anyway, somehow my dad got my mom to move to the US with him (see, only a guy who looked like Elvis could do that), they married in Vegas - the tiniest wedding you can imagine for such a big love - and they've stuck like glue ever since. Talk about strangely alike, but also yin and yang. My mom learned to drive a car in the US. She learned how to speak English fluently in the US. Her family grew like crazy in the US. And as for the two of them, I've seen them argue and then burst out laughing seconds later...I've seen them make a face when they think the other one is wrong and they're right....I've watched as a grown up as they raise a teenager, and other little kiddos. I've watched them develop into farmers and ranchers. I've seen them as city folk, business owners, artsists, coaches, disciplinarians, crazy folk, wanderers, and adventurers.
Honestly, to me, they're the kind of people who never lose that "cool" factor. They were "cool" when they were young, they're cool now, and they'll be cool when they're 99 and 98 and just starting to feel old.
Oh how I love them. I should be so lucky, to have my kids ever love me as much as I love my parents.
Happy Anniversary Mutti and Papa.
Ich liebe dich auch.

2 comments:

Teresa DiMillo said...

Oh my goodness, this brought tears to my eyes. I always say that if Taelyn can love me even half as much as I love my mom I did something right :) What a great love story and inspiring to those who are newly married. So cute!

SepticTank.co.uk said...

Wow! 35 years! Well done!