Wednesday, September 12, 2012

one of my fears - just one for now

I read a blog today that had a list of 30 questions to answer - I think it was geared either as a "post these answers on your own blog" or a "go on a date and ask your date these questions." Either way they were cute and reminded me of my friend Kelly, who likes to ask questions like these when she has guests.
One of the questions involved fears. What are some of your fears and why?
Mine? If you know me, you know one of my greatest fears is an earthquake. Not just a quake, but a BIG quake, although the littles scare me quite a bit, too.
It's not the shaking so much. It's the logistics. Where will I be in relation to the people who I will need to save from some cavernous hole, or shards of glass flying, or falling ceiling chunks? Who will I go to first? What if that mirror on the stairs breaks and the kids can't walk past it? What if that particular window breaks and we have to crawl over broken glass? What if my pantry is crushed and I can't get food? What if my garage is stuck and I can't get my car out? What if that big bookcase comes down and crushes someone? What if I can't find a good triangle of life for us to hide in?
I have a husband who would be needed if there was a large quake. If he was here, he'd have to leave. If he wasn't here, he wouldn't be coming home anytime soon. So it scares me to think I'd have to be alone with my kids while I'm scared myself! Will bravery just kick in? I hope so.
I also think about how it relates to school. I was recently telling an equally earthquake-aphobe friend that as I pass under the NUMEROUS power lines to get to my kids school, I frequently think to myself "oh man, these are going down, and how will I get across them? Little wooden shoes? Okay, put those in my emergency bucket."
Honestly, power lines are scary!
I'm not scared of scary movies. I'm not scared of being home alone. I'm scared of the CHANCE of an earthquake.
And for most of my life I KNOW it has been a very irrational fear. Not that it can't happen, but how SCARED I get myself is fully irrational.
And that's when I have to remind myself, "self, snap out of it. You know God doesn't want you to worry, doesn't want you to fear and sit thinking about the unknown. Take care of what you have today and are building for tomorrow without thinking of the outrageous and extreme possibilities." And that's good to remind myself of, or I could go crazy. Or I could go crazy more often.
I wonder if I will pass this on (or already have) to my kids. They KNOW I'm scared of EQs, but they don't seem to be nearly on my level.
They're more scared of losing a favorite toy or not wearing something that matches their friend at school. :)
Anyway, so of all my fears, that's one of my greatest, in that I think of it most often. I truly think of earthquakes daily. I think i wake up thinking about them, and fall asleep thinking about them, and I'm not sure where I got it.
I do think it's crazy that I happened to purchase a parcel of the earth that is right on a big huge fault line.
I can't even THINK of what else I'm scared of anymore. Now I'm all worked up. Gonna go get batteries in my flashlight.
 

Photobucket