Friday, April 08, 2011

In my freezer

So a new friend Shari, who has a great blog (http://www.running-upward.blogspot.com/), came to my mom's group sometime last year and gave us ALL sorts of neat ideas on meal planning, meal prep, and things to make yourself and save money on. EVERYTHING she said, I clung to and think of often. I bothered my friends and family for weeks telling them all about what she taught me (and 65 other people) when she spoke to us. THEN Shari taught a bunch of ladies how to make bread. Again, I bothered my poor family and friends about all the details of this, and how I was going to totally do this with all my free time. Blah blah blah.
What is the little trick I use MOST that I've learned from Shari?
I make my own uncrustable sandwiches now instead of buying them.
First of all, I think uncrustables are a GREAT invention. My kids don't mind the crust on white breads, but when I get them to eat yummy fiber-filled wheaty bread, they don't eat the crust so much. They may eat california rolls, seaweed paper, crab legs, green olives stuffed with all sorts of stuff and top it off with a swig of pickle juice, but they won't touch wheat bread crust. Ugggh.
So I get out the wheat bread, the double fiber bread, and all the other breads I buy from Costco that they won't eat unless I FORCE them, and I turn them into cute little uncrustables, pop them into a Ziploc baggie and freeze them in the freezer doors (that way Jack can find them easily and have a snack that's premade, but premade by ME, and I know what's in there!!!).
Here's the look of the latest batch.



 And here's my current jelly/jam of choice - Smucker's. Funny, since they are who make the uncrustables anyway. Usually I use the jam made by my wonderful mom - it's from fruit from her orchards (usually apricot) and it's all organic and great (or so I tell myself - really, only she knows what she does with her fruit!). Still sugary, but that's okay with me. As long as I'm coupling this with great fibery bread, we're all good. And I tell myself I'm saving money, which I probably am, and then I can go to Target more often.
(by the way, this Apricot Pineapple Smuckers is GREAT mixed into your oatmeal).
Go check out Shari's blog - you will love it, and you will be inspired to cook great things...and you'll laugh. She's funny.

3 comments:

Shari said...

Thanks for the shout out Jessy.... ok, seriously, I need to do some cookie cutter shapes, Nicholas would LOVE that!!!!

You have been such an encouragement to me from day 1. Thank you. :)

Unknown said...

Your so cute and next time I am over I need to remember to ask for a uncrustable in car form!!! I learn so much from you !

Jessica said...

SUch a cute idea! I also use my cookie cutters all the time to make my kiddos peanut butter and jelly :)