Monday, March 21, 2011

iwander

I wander. I also wonder, a lot. But I wander more.
Where do I wander, well to be serious, I just wander around - I think it's weird to live in a place and not know the places that surround it. I am very spacially oriented - I love maps. I love knowing what cities are directly north, south, east and west of me -not just to the next city, but into the next continent. I know which window looks out at what part of the yard, which direction so and so lives, and how far one place is from another. That doesn't seem too crazy to me, except that I live with someone who once looked perplexed when I explained something about what our bedroom window overlooks. I then heard these ghastly words: "well, I've never really thought about it." WHAT? How did you NOT THINK of what you were looking at out a window? Anyway, that will just make me wander down a road I don't want to wander down right now, so I'll go here instead.

My wandering buddy is Jack, because Jack is available all the time. No one else gives as much of their day and schedule to me as my sweet Jack. He'll break off all sorts of plans for me, and he'll even go with me to JoAnn's fabric store, or other girly places that other boys and kids don't want to go to. Okay, so he's forced to wander with me. But he loves it too. He doesn't make fun of me when I notice pretty birds, or pretty mailboxes, and he doesn't get tired of me telling him "Jack, I used to drive that kind of car!" or "Jack, I used to live in a house that looked just like that one!" or "Jack, which house do you like better, this one or that one?" Recently (in February) we wandered to this place pictured above and below. We HAD to get out of the car when we got here. I thought I had to lay in the grass with my little Jack and stare up at the clouds. But when I got closer, I realized the grass wasn't as light and fluffy as I thought - it was more prickly and sticky and had lots of bugs, but was still pretty. We ran through the grass instead, without laying down, and I got my camera. And then I wished I was taking pictures of some little girls with Easter dresses on, or a little boy running through the grass. Oh, that's right, I WAS taking pictures of a little boy running through the grass, because my wandering buddy is my CONSISTENT subject for photo taking - if only he'd stand still every now and then, and maybe even smile!
So we fell in love with this place and I vowed to bring a good friend here to take her family photos. I knew it had to be quick, because this sort of green doesn't last forever.
Well, someone mowed it in the past few weeks, and they done mowed it GOOD! I'd venture to say it may have even been PLOWED - I mean, they mowed it in preparation for planting something, or hiding something, because it's UGLY out there. I had the painful responsibility of going to Hawaii recently (oh it was so painful, the sheer ugliness of the place, and the stressful nature! :) and when I got back, I wandered back to this location and it now looks like a pile of dirt. I am sad. That's the last time I let Hawaii get in the way of....okay nevermind, I was in HAWAII!!!!!!
My lesson here - don't put off what you can do today.
I'll find green somewhere else, I guess.
I might frame that first picture I posted, though. That one really looks like a happy place to wander.

No comments: